In this episode we discuss the potential for application of technology, including the internet of things (IoT), in addressing air quality and other environmental challenges in Uganda and other parts of Africa.
- Opportunity in Africa to leapfrog technology applications to address air quality
- Data as a tool for participatory engagement and decision making
- Designing local solutions that address the questions of relevance for the region
Our guest Prof Engineer Bainomugisha is an Associate Professor of Computer Science and the Chair of the Department of Computer Science at Makerere University, in Kampala, Uganda. His research focuses on Computer Science-driven solutions to the prevailing world challenges. He is passionate about contributing to quality Computer Science education that is of sufficient breadth and depth, practical and fast enough. Currently, he leads several innovative and research initiatives that aim to create and apply computational methods and tools that can improve the quality of life especially in the developing world setting. He holds a PhD and MSc in Computer Science from Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium and a BSc in Computer Science from Makerere University, Uganda. Find him on twitter.
Our interviewer Katushabe Calorine is an Assistant Lecturer at the department of Computing Library Science and Information Technology at the Bishop Stuart University, Uganda. Her research is on IoT specializing in wireless intelligent sensor networks at the African Center of Excellence in Internet of Things (ACEIoT). She is interested in air quality monitoring across sub Saharan Africa, more so looking closely at the effect of bad air on the lungs.
Episode notes and references:
- Characterization of Ambient Air Quality in Selected Urban Areas in Uganda Using Low-Cost Sensing and Measurement Technologies
- Sustainable Capacity Building in Software Engineering Research in Africa: The Example of the BRIGHT Project
- Characterization of Ambient Air Quality in Selected Urban Areas in Uganda : A Low-Cost Approach
Music by: Ritesh Prasanna
Podcast website: https://atmospherictales.com